My mysterious vacations have always been by the waters, where I could secretly go fishing – yes! That my favorite hobby. On wanting to purchase the equipments, I made sure I was updated with the best all around fishing rods in the market. I feel that we all try to make sure, that we have the best of equipments, which make our hobbies easier to perform. On surfing through the best all around fishing rods I made sure that all of them were briefed with their features. When it is particularly about fishing rods, I ought to note down its power, weight, shape, length, stiffness, balance, sensitivity and pieces of equipments. I also summed up the pros and cons, and looked through the reviews for more assurance.
Shakespeare Medium Action Ugly Stik Bigwater Combo:
On going through the description, I realized that this is a classic product for big waters. It has a Conventional Ugly Stik along with a sturdy spinning reel. The construction includes a spiral of graphite which provides superior hoop strength. This is covered by a layer of glass fibers on the external side, which makes flex distribution easier. The rod is outfitted with Fuji’s double footed stainless steel guides and inserted with aluminum oxide. The reel seats, reinforced by graphite along with stainless steel hoods, as well as blank-thru-handle construction provide maximum strength.
- The power is mentioned to be medium heavy
- Big waters or light tackle target are apt for the action
- The line weight is 12-30 lbs, while the lure weight is 1 – 6 oz.
- The rod type is a Conventional Ugly Stik
- The reel type is a Shakespeare Encore USP260
- The length of rod is 10′, while the reel is size 70
- It has a dependable multi-disc drag system
Till date, there are 64 reviews on Amazon, with an average rating of 4.1. I saw that people were pretty satisfied about the Ugly Stik, but it wasn’t the same with the reel. Some of them were using previous reels, while some mentioned that Stik was worth the total cost, and they could invest on another reel. I summed up the pros and cons to understand what the complains were all about, and realized the following:
- Gives you value for money and high quality
- Good for all sizes of fish, especially big ones
- The weight of the rod pushes the enthusiasm
- Perfect for long casts
- Both artificial and fresh baits can be used
- The reel doesn’t have anti-reverse on and off switch, which is why if you are used to this sort of functioning, this product could be apt for you. This limitation would keep your grip sturdy.
- The size of the reel is small, compared to the pole, but that makes it lighter and easily manageable.
- The reel needs to be greased.
Okuma Safina Pro Spinning Combo:
The product has been outfitted with four-bearing reel, features a machined aluminum spool and includes graphite for neat split grip. The combination of this rod and reel are perfect for both freshwaters and in-shore saltwater fisheries. These rods have great balance, being six to seven feet in length, and are in the apt power to catch bass, sea trout, catfish, etc. These have 3 variants – Spa-602-25, SPa-662-35 and SPa-702-35, and they only differ in line capacity, rod length and lure weight.
- Graphite rod of blank construction
- Easy to set anti-reverse roller bearing
- 3bb + 1rb drive to promote smoothness
- Multi-disc greased drag washers
- Comfortable EVA foam grips
- Long lasting dura-flow stainless steel guides
- 2-toned machined aluminum spool
- The rod is about 6’ in length or more
- The power of action is medium
Following the usual trend of customer reviews, I scrolled down to see what the users had to say. There were 68 reviews with an average of 4 out of 5. It was funny to see that some people liked the rod due to the lightweight, while there were some who complained that the weight made it feel fragile and got it prone to breakage.
- Apt to catch any size of fish
- Strong, but has to be handled with care
- Weighs light, so improves flexibility and is easy to cast
- Good for slinging small lure
- Attractive design
- It can snap if you try to catch big fishes. It has to be handled with care to reduce such occurrence.
- The line guides are only wrapped on one side.
- If you find the hook holder missing, attach your previous hook holder to it or purchase it separately
Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod Combo:
According to me this combo turned out to be pretty attractive, and I might buy any of these. They looked like the best all around fishing rods to me, and I am pretty convinced. They say that it is the toughest in the market and has been designed to suit the Ugly Stik. The reel includes glass filled nylon and a double anodized aluminum, along with oversized bail wire for longevity. It has 3-4 bearing for smoothness and 2 pinion bearings to reduce overall wearing out. Finally, the soft touch knobs at the handle might improve comfort.
- Comprises of fiberglass and graphite in the exact proportion for rendering a sensitive blank.
- Ugly Stik’s signature fiberglass tip is present.
- Nylon body with glass fiber and 2 or 3 ball bearings.
- Great to balance and is also sensitive due to the mixture of graphite and fiberglass.
- Matte touch with black finish, and added with tones of silver and red.
- The 20-35 size reels has 3 BB +1, while 40-50 size reels has 2BB+1. Both with instant anti-reverse bearing.
With over 230 reviews and 4.2 rating, I was pretty convinced on purchasing one of these. I still scrolled through the comments to be sure of what I was heading for. The product mostly had good reviews, and the bad ones were due to some technical faults of the product they received, or due to lesser smoothness compared to their previous experiences.
- Strong and reliable
- Light-weighted but virtually unbreakable
- Okay with salt and fresh waters
- The pole is solid
- Performs well with different lures
- Smooth casting especially if skilled
- Rod flashes are reduced due to the matte feel
- The line has to be brought separately. You can add the one from your previous product, and if it fits, you are good to go.
- The reel is too sturdy, so using gloves is better than using it bear handed.
- There are no marking for alignments. Once you get to practice, you’d get skilled like a pro.
Master Fishing Tackle RLP60/RHP8 Saltwater Lite Combo:
I cannot lie about the fact that this feminine looking pink fishing rod, attracted the girl in me, and price was around half of what I wanted to splurge. The rod seems to be sturdy and sensitive, which could let me catch big fishes. I not settling on buying this, but I’d rather gift it to my niece for her next birthday. This way we can both catch some catfishes with it!
- The length of the rod is 8 feet and has two pieces
- It is apt for medium-heavy action
- Includes LED light which blink around the reel
There were just 5 reviews with a rating of 3.8 which literally favors the product. The customers liked the flashy lights, and to be honest, that appeals me too. It can make anybody fish at dawn! Somehow, I also feel that it isn’t something that would last pretty long.
- Good quality with value for money
- Safe to use
- Designed for good grip and apt for beginners
- Strong pole and good sensitivity
- Good for women, children and beginners
- The flashes can scare the fishes away, so you need to tackle that aspect.
- It might not last long, especially if not handled with care. The possibility of beginners spoiling or breaking a rod is more than someone who is skilled.
South Bend Worm Gear Fishing Rod and Spinning Reel Combo, Blue
I stopped at this product because I realized that this was another cool looking fishing rod, which could be gifted to kids. The combination of black and blue looked alluring, and they spoke of high quality too. Purchasing a less pricey fishing rod is apt to teach someone, or to carry for a distant trip. It looks to have an easy spinning facility with ball bearing reel.
- It comes with a 64″ 2-piece spinning combo
- The rod has fiberglass EVA handle along with 4 ceramic guides and the reel seat is of graphite.
- The reel has ball bearing drive, graphite spool and body with line
With just 3 customer reviews with a rating of 4 out of 5, wasn’t convincing enough to rely on. 2 of them were good, while 1 complained of getting the line entangled at the very first experience. It is difficult to judge if that was something to do with the product or had they mishandled it.
- Can be used by teens and ages above. Apt for teaching a beginner.
- Affordable and of good quality.
- Comes pre-spooled
- The stick could look short
- Not good enough for professional anglers
After going through all the products with their detailed information, I conclude that someone needs to know their priority while buying a fishing rod. If they already have a good rod, they should buy a good reel, or vice versa. If they want a product for beginners they’d need to get something less expensive so that you can risk having it broken. Venturing into a flexible yet sturdy product is a great challenge for anglers, but the professionals or skilled fishermen would surely know how to manage a tough rod.